UB Medizin & STPH
Basics in Literature Searching: PubMed and Other Resources
You will gain basic knowledge on performing searches in medical literature databases, with a focus on PubMed, one of the largest public access databases for medicine and related subjects. Emphasis will be placed on the formulation of exact question for your search and the steps needed to begin. You will become familiar with the contents and application of the most important resources for medical literature and studies. In addition to tips and tricks, access to electronic full texts will also be explained.
- Formulating the question (with exercises)
- Various search approaches
- Contents of medical literature resources (PubMed, Embase, Cochrane, Google Scholar, library catalogue, UpToDate and others)
- Free-text searching
- Working with Boolean search operators (AND, OR, NOT) (with exercises)
- Narrowing search results with filters
- Basic functions: Sort results; export results; access to full texts via SFX
Documenting the search process
Adressatinnen und Adressaten
Students, researchers, medical staff
Members of Swiss Tropical and Public Health Institute have priority access to the course. If sufficient places are available, other persons will be admitted as well.
Export event as iCal